- In just a single year, 1,245,000 tons of clothing was purchased in the UK. That is equivalent to 38 pounds per individual.
- The global fashion industry’s worth is estimated to be $2.5 trillion and the top 8 companies make more than a billion dollars in a year.
- Leather and textile emits approximately 82 million metric tons of GHG.
- In Ethiopia, the minimum living wage is $110 monthly while the base wage of a garment worker there is $26 a month.
- Most managers are men and they prefer to hire women believing that they are meek. They believe that women are willing to work more hours despite having little pay.
- Making 1 t-shirt takes approximately 450 liters of water. This is more than 2 years’ of drinking water for one individual.
- Clothes made with non-biodegradable fabrics will sit in landfills for up to 200 years.